Zhoushan Changhong International Shipyard has been trying to hive off to 1,756-teu newbuildings by dropping the price to less than $18m each. That sets a benchmark low for modern eco-feederships and reflects the difficulties the yard had in finding buyers. Read more in TradeWinds
The rebound in the containership charter market continues at breakneck speed, as optimism grows for the long-term prospects for other major shipping markets. Read more in TradeWinds
Containership capacity is likely to grow by less than 2% this year. But with volumes falling more than 7% already, the gap between supply and demand will get wider. Read More in Lloyd’s List
Cancelled sailings are projected to significantly recede as the traditional holiday peak shipping season ramps up during the third quarter. Read more in Lloyd’s List
Consensus points to a stronger second half of the year compared with the first six months of 2020, but full-year earnings are likely to be lower than in 2019 across all segments. Read more in Lloyd’s List
Shipowners and operators are buckling up for tougher competition as the supply/demand picture puts the liquefied petroleum gas segment at a disadvantage. Read more in Lloyd’s List here
Do the shipping markers actually slow down about now? Splash Extra investigates
Maritime Strategies International (MSI) Ltd is a small, dynamic and highly successful shipping consultancy business, based in Southwark, London. MSI offers an ideas-orientated working culture with an emphasis on knowledge sharing and development. It is widely respected for its forecasting and business advisory services to shipping industries across the globe. Current clients include banks, leasing companies, ship owners, yards, brokers, investors, insurers, and service providers.
Following a period of rapid growth and the successful launch of MSI’s online shipping and offshore market data/modelling platform MSI HORIZON, we are looking for an individual with a strong background in dry bulk shipping markets analysis to take a lead role in maintaining and developing our dry bulk sector forecasts and market risk analysis. This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to develop strong links with MSI’s global client base and overall commercial awareness in a company at the forefront of shipping consultancy.
The role will include:
- Dry Bulk Market analysis and modelling
- Taking a lead role in maintaining and developing MSI’s econometric forecasting models across dry bulk commodity trade, dry bulk supply, freight rates and vessel values.
- Contributing to our regular (monthly and quarterly) dry bulk written reports.
- Ad-hoc client support
- Market Presentations and Consultancy projects
- Presentations up to board-level audience on the dry bulk market, outlook and risks.
- Occasional presentations at dry bulk-orientated conferences.
- Delivering bespoke consultancy projects, typically including written market reports, presentations and Excel models outlining the dry bulk market outlook and risks, often for specific asset niches.
The work will be carried out in close collaboration with our team of cross-sector analysts and consultants and will report to Director Level. The ideal candidates will have:
- A minimum upper second-class degree in a numerical subject (Maths, Engineering, Economics, Science)
- Minimum 3 years’ of directly relevant employment experience
- A proven analytical track record with the ability to communicate methods and results through presentations and written reports.
- Proficiency in Excel, competency with PowerPoint. Knowledge of programming languages and business intelligence applications an advantage.
- Excellent time management skills with the capability to meet tight deadlines
- The aptitude to learn quickly and work competently in both a team or on an individual basis
- The determination to produce results to the highest of standards with a desire to increase efficiency and productivity without losing attention to detail.
There will be the opportunity for the right candidate to develop their skills and deepen their understanding of the industry quickly. The successful individual will play a pivotal role in a challenging, yet rewarding, environment and will be exposed to an array of shipping sectors and industry participants.
For further information on MSI please visit our website at www.msiltd.com or email HR@msiltd.com
Sharp swings in container freight rates are likely to continue this quarter as shipping companies struggle to gauge demand amid an uneven global recovery from the coronavirus. Read more in Bloomberg News
This webinar session will take a critical look at the response of the liner industry to the COVID-19 crisis. In assessing the financial results for the first half of 2020, what can we learn about agility from the front runners, and what is the outlook for 2021? Watch it here